Discrete event system models (for instance Petri nets, automata, Markov chains) are used to describe very different aspects of the real word: computer systems, communication systems, manufacturing systems, traffic systems. Recently, corporations and researchers are being attracted by the key problem of using effectively and efficiently the latest developments of Information and Communication Technologies, Artificial Intelligence approaches (machine learning and deep reinforcement learning), cybersecurity problems in different fields such as intelligent transportation systems, autonomous vehicles, logistics networks, healthcare systems, smart building and smart cities. The new application areas and technologies lead to the description of new realities that exhibit a high degree of concurrency and are characterized by resource sharing and conflicts. The challenge is opening new frontiers in the application of tools and models typical of the discrete event systems in order to improve the knowledge and the management of new complex and man made systems.
Long-term Goals (next 5-10 years):
- Selecting a set of SMCS sponsored conference that the TC can support in order to determine different contexts in which the TC member can meet and exchange
- Pushing the application of DES tools and strategies in new practical fields
- Organizing workshops
Goals for current year:
- Providing the technical support for key SMC sponsored conferences
- Establishing a TC news letter about the new contributions, published papers, conferences about Discrete Event Systems
- Organizing special sessions in SMCS conferences
- Pushing the TC members to edit books
- Pushing the TC members to write special issues
- Organizing web meetings
- Interact with researchers and practitioners that apply the DES research in relatively new and rapidly growing research fields (f.e., Internet of Things, Industry 4.0)
- Exchange research ideas and forming partnership.
- Participate in exciting conferences, workshops, and special issues.
- Make friends from different parts of the world.
- Make a tangible and positive impact on the society.