Discrete event system models (for instance Petri nets, automata, Markov chains) are used to describe very different aspects of the real word: computer systems, communication systems, manufacturing systems, traffic systems. Recently, corporations and researchers are being attracted by the key problem of using effectively and efficiently the latest developments of Information and Communication Technologies, Artificial Intelligence approaches (machine learning and deep reinforcement learning), cybersecurity problems in different fields such as intelligent transportation systems, autonomous vehicles, logistics networks, healthcare systems, smart building and smart cities. The new application areas and technologies lead to the description of new realities that exhibit a high degree of concurrency and are characterized by resource sharing and conflicts. The challenge is opening new frontiers in the application of tools and models typical of the discrete event systems in order to improve the knowledge and the management of new complex and man made systems.
Long-term Goals (next 5-10 years):
- Selecting a set of SMCS sponsored conference that the TC can support in order to determine different contexts in which the TC member can meet and exchange
- Pushing the application of DES tools and strategies in new practical fields
- Organizing workshops
Goals for current year:
- Providing the technical support for key SMC sponsored conferences
- Establishing a TC news letter about the new contributions, published papers, conferences about Discrete Event Systems
- Organizing special sessions in SMCS conferences
- Pushing the TC members to edit books
- Pushing the TC members to write special issues
- Organizing web meetings
- Interact with researchers and practitioners that apply the DES research in relatively new and rapidly growing research fields (f.e., Internet of Things, Industry 4.0)
- Exchange research ideas and forming partnership.
- Participate in exciting conferences, workshops, and special issues.
- Make friends from different parts of the world.
- Make a tangible and positive impact on the society.
IEEE SMC 2023 (October 1-4, Hyatt Maui, Hawaii, USA)
- Program Co-Chair: Maria Pia Fanti
- Financial Chair: Ying Tang
- Workshop Co-Chair and Associate Editor: Agostino Marcello Mangini
- Organized special session on “Optimization of Manufacturing/Remanufacturing Systems”: Jiacun Wang
- Organized a special session on “Results and applications of Discrete Event System Models and Artificial Intelligence” organizers Maria Pia Fanti, Zhiwu Li
IEEE CASE 2023(August 26 -30, Auckland, New Zealand)
- Steering Committee Members: Maria Pia Fanti, Mariagrazia Dotoli, Martin Fabian, and Mengchu Zhou
- Workshop and Tutorial Chair, Associate Editor, and the Member of the Technical Committee: Agostino Marcello Mangini
IEEE CODIT 2023 (July 3-6, Rome, Italy)
- International Program CoChair: Maria Pia Fanti
- Advisory committee cochairs: Zhiwu Li, Mariagrazia Dotoli, Alessandro Giua.
- Steering Committee Member: Maria Pia Fanti, Zhiwu Li, Alessandro Giua
- Organized a Special session “Towards Smart and Electric Mobility” Proposed by: Prof. Maria Pia Fanti, Prof. Agostino Marcello Mangini, Prof. Michele Roccotelli, Prof. Silvia Siri, Università di Genova
Maria Pia Fanti
- Program Chair of ICCSI 2023
- Associate Editor of IEEE Trans. On Systém, Man and Cybernetics: Systems
- Steering Committee Member of IEEE MED 2023 (June 26-29, GrandResort, Limassol, Cyprus)
- Associate Editor for ECC 2023 (Bucarest, Romania, June 13-16)
- Invited speaker at the international seminar on “Smart Microgrid and Sustainable Mobility” at Vellore Institute of Technology Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India, June 13, 2023.
- Technical Program Committee member of ICSNC 2023 (November 13-17, Valencia, Spain)
- International Technical Program Committee member of CCRIS 2023 (August 25-27, Guangzhou, China)
- Publicity Co-chair of the International Symposium on Nonlinear Theory and Its Applications (NOLTA, September 26-29, Catania, Italy).
- Steering Committee member and Scientific Committee member of ICFDA 2023 (March 14-16, Ajman, UAE,)
- Co-chair of the invited session “Bumpless Transfer Switched Control” in IEEE CDC 2023 (December 13-15, 2023, Singapore)
- Co-chair of the special issue “Optimal Planning and Control of Robots” in Optimal Control Applications and Methods
Agostino Marcello Mangini
- Technical Committee Member of IRCE 2023 (June 13-15, McCormick Place, Chicago, USA)
- Tutorial/Workshop Co-Chair of ICCSI 2023 (October 20-23, Xi’an China)
- Special Session Chair of IEEE ICAMAL 2023 (March 25-26, Madrid, Spain)
- Tutorial/Workshop Co-Chair of IEEE SMC 2023 (October 1-4, Hyatt Maui, Hawaii, USA)
- Associate Editor for SMC Magazine