Senior member is the highest grade for which IEEE members can apply. IEEE members can self-nominate, or be nominated, for Senior member grade.
Who can become a Senior Member?
- Anyone with 10 years in the profession (not 10 years of IEEE membership). Your educational experience is counted towards this 10-year requirement as follows:
- 3 years for a bachelor’s degree
- 4 years for a master’s degree
- 5 years for a doctorate degree
- To become a Senior Member, you must have 5 years of significant performance.
- Nominations for IEEE Senior member may be submitted online using the IEEE Senior Membership Application Form. Nominations are evaluated eight to ten times per year by the IEEE.
Review Complete Senior Member Requirements
Prospective members who would like to apply directly for Senior member grade should join IEEE and then submit the Senior member Application Form as an IEEE member number is required on the senior member application. There is no additional fee to apply for senior member grade.
Begin an Application for Senior Membership
Nominations for IEEE Senior member may be submitted online using the IEEE Senior Membership Application Form. Nominations are evaluated eight to ten times per year by the IEEE.
Benefits of Senior Membership
- Recognition: The professional recognition of your peers for technical and professional excellence.
- Senior member plaque: Since January 1999, all newly elevated Senior members have received an engraved Senior Member plaque to be proudly displayed for colleagues, clients and employers to see. The plaque, an attractive fine wood with bronze engraving, is sent within six to eight weeks after elevation.
- US$25 coupon: IEEE will recognize all newly elevated Senior members with a coupon worth up to US$25. This coupon can be used to join one new IEEE society. The coupon expires on 31 December of the year in which it is received.
- Letter of commendation: A letter of commendation will be sent to your employer on the achievement of Senior member grade (upon the request of the newly elected Senior member).
- Announcements: Announcement of elevation can be made in section/society and/or local newsletters, newspapers and notices.
- Leadership Eligibility: Senior members are eligible to hold executive IEEE volunteer positions.
- Ability to refer other candidates: Senior members can serve as a reference for other applicants for senior membership.
- Review panel: Senior members are invited to be on the panel to review senior member applications.
- US$25 referral coupon: Newly elevated Senior members are encouraged to find the next innovators of tomorrow and invite them to join IEEE. Invite them to join and the new IEEE member will receive $25 off their first year of membership.